Friday, January 25, 2008

Hot spot problem

Do you have problem with your wireless connection on your home, i have it. i have same problem if you same with me, the cover of the radio wifi on my home can't cover all room in my home. it's make me stress if i always do work in working room, i can take my laptop in garden or behind room where the spot on. But solve when i read this "New wireless technology kills 'dead spots' at home" write by Edward C.Baig. I read on usatoday.com. Mr. Baig write about dead spot wifi conection, couse i have problem i read step by step then i try to implement that. This his article :
New wireless technology kills 'dead spots' at home
I wouldn't ordinarily mention wireless networking and baseball in the same breath. But I couldn't resist. The so-called Mimo technology I've been testing is kind of like, um, Wi-Fi on steroids.

There's nothing objectionable about this impressive new wireless technology except maybe its name. Mimo (pronounced My-moh) stands for multiple input, multiple output.Just as performance-enhancing drugs apparently led to more home runs, Mimo in its own (perfectly legitimate) way extends the range of Wi-Fi network base stations to, relatively speaking, McGwire-like proportions. That's while maintaining a speedy connection. Indeed, you can enjoy fast Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home or office, without the "dead spots" you may encounter with your current gear.

To experience Mimo in my house, I tested a wireless base station from the Linksys division of Cisco Systems. Linksys claims its router — the 2.4-GHz Wireless-G broadband router with SRX (speed and range expansion), model WRT54GX — is up to eight times faster and offers up to three times the range of otherwise comparable products without Mimo.

With differing approaches, Linksys competitors Belkin, D-Link and Netgear have unveiled their own Mimo devices.

Mimo is expected to be at the forefront of the speedy next iteration of Wi-Fi, known in geek-speak as "802.11n." The engineers won't finalize the precise standard until next year, which means there's no guarantee today's Mimo devices will get along with whatever the industry eventually cooks up. But Mimo's improvements are dramatic, and the technology already makes nice with the most popular current flavors of Wi-Fi, 802.11b and 802.11g. Thus, you can buy a Mimo router and still exploit the built-in Wi-Fi capabilities of your notebook. f you want the full effect, you can add a Mimo-ready PC card that slips into a slot on your laptop. In a modest-size home, that may be overkill.

Like most new technologies, Mimo devices aren't cheap. Linksys charges $199 for the router and $129 for each laptop card, vs. $79 and $69, respectively, for comparable non-Mimo equipment.

Here's a simplified version of how Mimo works: For about a century, scientists have wanted to mitigate a natural phenomenon known as "multipath." That's when transmitted radio signals bounce off barriers and take multiple paths to get to a receiver, resulting in interference. In the mid-1990s, Stanford researchers determined that not only was multipath not the enemy, but that they could actually take advantage of it. So instead of sending out a single stream of data like most base stations, Mimo sends out multiple data streams simultaneously and uses multiple antennas to sort out the signals.

The Linksys router, for example, has three folding antennas. Inside the router are chips from a company called Airgo Networks, whose executives include those smart Stanford guys. Airgo also works with Belkin.

Wi-Fi chipmaker Atheros employs an alternative method to get at Mimo. Its chips are in the D-Link devices. A third player, Video54, is lending its expertise to Netgear.

Putting together any wireless network can be a chore, especially for novices. But Linksys does a decent job, through its software, of walking users through the set-up process. If you run into snags, the company provides toll-free tech support 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

I connected the router to the cable modem in my basement office. The box has flashing indicator lights and extra ports for hooking up Ethernet devices.

With my previous Microsoft router, I had experienced spotty Wi-Fi coverage in one upstairs bedroom and a dead spot in another. Subbing the Linksys router, I got a sturdy signal throughout the house, even when using the integrated Wi-Fi radio inside my IBM ThinkPad rather than the Linksys laptop card. I didn't notice a terrific increase in speed when I inserted the card.

I also got better range in the bedrooms using the wireless capabilities of my Apple PowerBook. The Mac doesn't have a slot for the type of Mimo card Linksys supplies.

With the Linksys card inside the ThinkPad, I headed to my backyard and a detached garage where I could not previously get a signal. Mimo delivered. I maintained a strong connection across the street and down the block. I walked past four houses before the signal weakened, roughly half a football field from my home.

I didn't get as far when I removed the Linksys card and walked down the street. I was still able to surf more than 100 feet from my front door. Your own mileage will vary, depending on conditions in and around your house.

My testing also took me to LaGuardia and Newark, N.J., airports. In the terminals, I got strong signals when I used just the internal Wi-Fi radio in the ThinkPad, as well as when I relied on the Linksys card. The power of that card and Mimo became evident only at Newark when I sat near a parking garage entrance. The signal strength using the Linksys laptop card was "very good" compared with "low" when I used the ThinkPad's internal Wi-Fi.

To protect privacy, you can set up the network with robust encryption. Alas, I ran into a baffling hitch.

After temporarily losing my Internet connection, the "secure" wireless home network I'd created also disappeared; the router failed to save the security settings and I was back to square one with an unprotected network. I created another secure network, but again the router failed to hold onto the settings after I intentionally pulled the plug. Linksys claims this is an isolated malfunction, likely having to do with the router's flash memory.

I'm willing to give Linksys the benefit of the doubt because of the rewards that Mimo provides. So if your current wireless router has all the pop of a Punch and Judy hitter, I'd recommend switching to a Mimo base station with the muscle to reach the fences. Steroid-free.

from that,know my problem solve, i change the wifi radio, and pick the new wifi with more power and cover. in realy-realy dead spot i use more wifi split by hub device. Yes we can use wds mode to conect with the other wifi so i don't need cable to bring data to wifi in realy dead spot. And now today, can bring my laptop to my garden room behind wall, do work with barebeque, joke with my neigborg.

No comments: